Home  »  About Us

About Us

 

ON CODE RED DAYS THE MUSEUM AND RESEARCH CENTRE WILL NOT OPEN

Creswick Museum is housed in the former Municipal Offices of the Shire of Creswick, situated in the Creswick Town Hall complex. The Creswick Town Hall was built in 1876 a magnificent two storey National Trust classified building, with a tower and clock. Creswick Museum was opened to the public on November 20th 1970 by Sir Daryl Lindsay. The interior of the building is notable for the magnificent classic winding staircase of local Basalt. From the balcony on the second floor you can look down onto the Exhibition Gallery. During 2010 extensive work was undertaken in the Creswick Museum with grants from Heritage Victoria and Museum Victoria. Heritage Victoria's grant saw improvements to the Council Chamber with the removal of asbestos and rendering of the walls. The volunteers spent many hours cleaning and rehousing the photographs in the room. Downstairs floors in the Atrium Gallery and Colonial Art Gallery were replaced. New glass doors and tiling at the entrance. Museum Victoria's grant was to install security cameras and special lighting in the Mining Room.

In 2015 Hepburn Shire re-opened the entrance into the Ladies Retiring Room to give the museum additional space to display Lindsay works downstairs. The floor in the Bank Chamber was raised removing the need for a ramp into that room.

With the help of the Community the museum was able to purchase a Percy Lindsay Creswick artwork "The Gardener".

Changes to the Town Hall means the Museum is closed at present but will re-open on 23 September 2017

 

Museum Australia (Vic) Archival Survival Volunteer Museum 2014
Place of Deposit, Public Records Office of Victoria
FacebookTripAdvisorGoogle Map

Museum Accreditation Program - Accredited Museum   State Government Victoria   Bendigo Bank   Creswick of the Lindsays Hepburn Shire Council

Sitemap | 2007 - 2017 © Creswick Museum | www.creswickmuseum.org.au - All Rights Reserved | Design by UBC Web DesignUBC Web Design logo